Dada Thakur Chawla
birth 18-2-1931 Karachi sindh , Last day between us 12-12-2013 Mumbai,
Significant Literary Achievements/ Contributions :
As Writer :
1) ‘Shadi Ji Pahrin Raat’ (First Wedding Night), Short Stories, 1995.
2) ‘Aj Jun Kahanyun’ (Stories today), Short Stories, 2000.
3) ‘Tun Sind Me Rahi Pau’ (You Stay In Sind), Travelogue, 2001.
As Journalist :
Editor ‘Sipoon’ (Oysters), Sindhi literary quarterly magazine.
Editor ‘Hindvasi’ Sindhi Weekly Magazine.
Recognition By Way of Awards / Honours :
• Gold Medal for literary contributions, 1999 (At Mumbai by Dada Jashan Vaswani).
• Award for outstanding contributions to Sindhi literature, 2000 (At New Delhi by Sindhi Academy).
Additional Information :
i) Managing Trustee ‘Writers & Artists Welfare Foundation’.
ii) Member, Maharashtra State Sindhi Sahitya Academy.
Iii) Trustee Prof. Ram Punjwani Cultural Centre, Mumbai.
Thakur Chawla is a good short story writer, having published 2 of his collections. His stories are simple, short and direct. Characters and incidents are picked up from daily life, selectively and woven beautifully to create a desired effect, sometimes with a twist in the tail, a surprise ending.
He is a very good organiser. Two very distinct achievements are to his credit – (i) A regular fortnightly cultural gathering at Ram Panjwani Cultural Centre (Sita Sindhu Bhavan), where Sindhi singers are invited to participate. (ii) He has been editing and publishing a quarterly literary magazine titled ‘Sipoon’ for over 3decades.